THE NEW CD FROM ROBIN GREENSTEIN
Robin Greenstein is a multi-talented
singer/songwriter from New York
City whose music merges many influences. She's been compared with such
greats as James Taylor, Karla Bonoff, Bonnie Raitt and Carole King.
Robin is quite popular on the college circuit, performing at over 30
campuses a year.
Her many songwriting accomplishments
include: signed as a writer for two
years to Bob Dylan's publishing company; two songs on the debut album of
Atlantic Recording artist Janice Payson; two appearances on Fast Folk
CDs; and chosen on her first go-round for the 1989 Kerrville Festival
New Folk showcase. Robin has performed in over 44 states as well as
Europe, Japan and Mexico. She tours Denmark every summer.
"I was tired
of people always asking me what kind of music I played, so
I wrote a song about it. I call my music Acousticness."
Robin's new CD "Acousticness"
shows that while her roots are in
traditional folk (she plays both guitar & 5- string banjo) her personal
style fuses many genres. "Acousticness" features a full rhythm section
based around her accomplished acoustic guitar style. Traditional
instruments (harmonica, banjo, mandolin) mesh beautifully with
contemporary keyboards and electric guitars. Of course, a CD by Robin
wouldn't be complete without wonderful harmonies. The title song is a
celebration of musical influences, and defines her music; a style that
is rooted in acoustic folk & blues music, but contains elements of rock,
pop, country, R&B and jazz.
Awards and Distinctions
1989 - Kerrville Folk Festival,
finalist, New Folk Competition
1993 - Touring Artist for Penn State Cultural Arts Series
1993 - Nominated Best Female Entertainer, Campus Activities Today
Reader's Choice Awards
1994 - First European Tour
1995 - Riverbank Folk Festival Competition - winner
1996 - New Jersey Folk Festival New Folk Competition - winner
New Folk Showcase, Falcon Ridge Folk Festival
Showcased at Northeast Regional Folk Alliance Convention, Nov.
Appeared on Montel Williams show
1998 - Appeared on Songs.com. s MP3 compilation (first of its kind)
1999 - Received Outstanding Associate Member Award, NACA's East Coast Region.
featured on ACOUSTICNESS :
* Rob Friedman (producer, guitars, keyboards, percussion) Produced acts for SONY Canada
including Juno Award winners Melanie Doane and Kevan Jordan; the November Project
Columbia Records). Hit songwriter ("Don't Shed A Tear" - int. l Top 10 hit for Paul Carrack)
* Doug Yowell - Drums (Sophie B. Hawkins, David Benoit, Richard Julian)
* Michael Visceglia - Bass player (Suzanne Vega)
* Bob Meehan - Harmonica (Stained Grass Window)
* Aske Jacoby - Electric Guitar. Well known player in his native Denmark with two CDs.
* Cecilia Kirtland, Frank Rendo, Eva Sklar background vocals
Clarence Gatemouth Brown's band, Gate's Express, plays on tracks #9 and #10:
* Joe Krown - piano
* David Peters - drums
* Harold Floyd - bass
and general description:
(unless noted, all songs by Robin Greenstein and published by Tuddy and Pokey Music, BMI) &
1) New Kick
Now (4:28) -
pop-folk tongue-in-cheek break-up song.
2) Acousticness (5:22) a celebration of musical influences. A story song of sorts, in a funky bluesy riff,
replete with nods to musical greats of all eras .
3) I' ll Be There (Anytime At All) (4:31) - a song about parenting and motherhood. Catchy chorus.
4) Tomorrow' s A Brand New Day (4:20) quieter philsophical song about optimism.
5) Did Ya Know (4:16) a sexy groove tune about.... Well it's sexy
6) Cry For the Lonely (4:28) up-tempo country rock
7) You' re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go (Bob Dylan) (2:57) - the classic Dylan song from the
"Blood On The Tracks" album reinterpreted on banjo.
8) Let Go (4:15) -often requested, a philosophy of life song of personal experiences.
9) West Coast Swing (3:20) - A shuffle blues, Recorded in New Orleans, this is a song about a
dance style that is sister to East Coast Swing(Lindy) dancing. It is also written in the dance style
itself and can be danced to (like The Twist).
10) The Boys From Fargo (3:15)- Little Feat influence here on a rollicking tribute to men from the midwest.
11) Can't Lose With You (Robin Greenstein/Janice Payson) (4:30)- classic pop/folk ballad, gospel treatment.
12) Sacred Song (4:20) - quiet pensive homage to friendship, filled with images from folk music.
Most Acoustic Cuts:
#7 (Dylan song) and #11 (Sacred Song)
Songs with banjo: #2 Acousticness and #7 (Dylan song)
Most up tempo: #6 (Cry For The Lonely)
Danceable: #6 (country), #9 (swing) #10 (swing)
Best sing-along choruses: #1, #3, #6 #11
KEY MARKETING DATA
Full national press effort
In-store play CD/CS available
Tour in planning stages
Posters (2 or 4-color)
Color postcards, color buttons
Acousticness is initially
being released on Windy Records in the U.S.,
and tentatively by Brambus Records in Europe.
CDs have internet distribution via SONGS.COM or by called 1-800 BUYMYCD.
for more info please contact
216 W. 89th St., #10C
New York, NY 10024
(212) 877-2662 fax (212) 877-3105
Also available from Robin